Our school encourages a coordinated approach to supporting students with additional learning needs.
From time to time our school receives requests for externally funded service providers to liaise with teaching staff and /or to deliver services within the school setting. The Department of Education policy and procedures govern any requests for information and delivery of services in consideration of the needs of all students and staff.
Access to the school by an externally funded provider is at the discretion of the principal.
In all instances, parents are to make such requests to the school's Learning and Support Team Coordinator (Deputy Principal Wellbeing). The school's Learning and Support Team will coordinate the management of such requests in consideration of Department of Education policy and procedural guidelines.
The protocols that will be followed include:
- Parents or legal carers are to make initial contact with the school's Learning and Support Team Coordinator to provide details of the external provider involved in their child's care and to discuss the processes involved.
- The parent or legal carer must provide to the school written permission for the exchange of information (pdf 54 KB). The school will provide a Parent Referral to the Learning Support Team (if this has not already been established) for parents to complete and sign. This is required before the school will discuss your child's matter with the external service provider.
- The service provider is requested to forward a letter addressed to the Deputy Principal Wellbeing outlining what information is required and by whom. If particular forms are required to be completed, these need to be included in the letter of request to the school's Learning Support Team and not handed or sent directly to the classroom teacher.The service provider is to provide contact name(s) and address for the confidential return of information by the Deputy Principal Wellbeing.
- The Classroom Teacher and school's Learning Support Team will consult to determine the need to complete any checklists or assessments.
- All information exchanged must be in writing.
- The Learning Support Team will provide / return information directly to the external service provider.
- Parents will allow at least 4 weeks prior to making a further appointment with an external service provider to ensure they have time to receive and process the information.
More information on how requests from external providers are managed can be found here (pdf 95 KB).